Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Culinary Adventures Part 2: Crispy Critters

Before I left Battambang, I decided to take the exotic foods sampling up a notch.  Our tour guide Kim took us to a roadside stand that was selling stir fried crickets.  And barbecued rats.  I was surprised by the crickets.  They were actually extraordinarily tasty and I'm being 100% sincere.  I wouldn't have be totally starving to eat them.  In fact, I intend to have more before I leave.  I hear they're quite good with beer.  I think it helped that they were stir fried in some delicious seasoning.  Once you ignore the fact you're chewing on an insect - yum, quite delicious.  Ch'ng an.  And the rat?  We were assured that the rats were not city rats but were caught out in the rice fields so their only diet is rice.   That was reassuring.   Rat was actually pretty easy.  As Kuro commented, "Rike chiggen".  Yup.  Even the Japanese think everything tastes like chicken.

Down the hatch...
Kim gets things rolling...

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Crickets I will do, but a rat...hmmmmm I don't think so

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're one up on me.....well two really. I only got around to trying ants and frogs while I was there!

    ReplyDelete