Sunday, January 2, 2011

Culinary Adventures Part 1

Last night I had dinner with a group of fellow travelers.  Somehow, we all agreed to try something a little different.  So we ended up at a Cambodian BBQ place on Pub Street.  Cambodian BBQ usually involves a big bowl with a central raised dome that has slits in it.  This goes over a gas powered stove that sits right on your table in front you.  As the dome heats up, they pour water into the rim area.  Then they bring vegetables, noodles, and meat.  The vegetables and noodles go into the water.  The meat goes on the dome and the juices slowly drip into the water making a delicious veggie noodle soup to eat with the meat.  What was different about this meal was the meat. Among the usual meats that most foreigners know and love, the dinner menu also included: crocodile, kangaroo, ostrich, frog legs, and goat.  We got the ostrich, frog legs, and goat.  The rest of the table liked the beef the most, but I have to say, I REALLY liked the ostrich.  It tasted like a cross between pork and chicken.  The goat was pretty good too.  I will be back again eventually to try the rest of the meats.  It's hard to describe the setup, so the camera will definitely be with me next time.  There are other food items that are a lot less tame than these things.  I'll get around to them eventually...

2 comments:

  1. phew.... just spent the late sunday afternoon catching up on your blog. Appreciate your writings and I am learning so much. Thank you for your inspiration. I am working on the Mercy Corps application.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Y, thanks for reading. Mercy Corps sounds incredible and I'm sure it would be a life changing experience!

    ReplyDelete