Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waterfall Hike

Yesterday, I went on a photo shoot with my friend Miles out in the Gorge.  Our destination was a series of waterfalls about half an hour east of Portland.  Miles only shoots as a hobby, but he has a really impressive portfolio: Miles Morgan Photography.  I myself have never been much of a landscape photographer.  It requires a great deal of patience, effort, luck, and you need to be a bit of a perfectionist.  I typically prefer candid photos of people because it really just requires luck - to be in the right place at the right time.  But I do appreciate good landscape photography and I'm always up for trying new things so when he invited me to join him and his buddies, I took the opportunity.  My equipment isn't well suited for landscapes, but I have a tripod and I have a circular polarizer so I figured I'd start with that and see what else I could learn along the way.  It ended up being an amazing day out.  Finn had an awesome time and was exhausted by the end of the day.  I had a great time with some good guys chatting about camera equipment, and ended up getting a few useable shots.  There's definitely room for improvement, but besides the shots, I found myself really enjoying the whole composing, measuring exposure, and climbing up or down to different precarious locations to get a certain shot.  I'll definitely be looking to do some more landscape photos now.  Especially since it gives me another good reason to get outdoors.

Horsetail Falls

Oneonta Canyon

Oneonta Canyon

First signs of spring in the Gorge

Wahclella Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment