Saturday, April 9, 2011

Life As We Know It

Freedom.  It's been quite a few weeks since I've had much choice in what to do with my time.  Work coverage kept me away from home for most of it.  I finally returned last night.  It feels like I've been traveling for the past month, but I see now why business travelers hate it.  Living out of a suitcase sucks when you're doing it for work.   But, it went by fairly quickly and I kept reminding myself that I am so lucky first of all to have a job, and secondly, to have one that usually allows me to set my own schedule and pays me well for it. Quite a few of my friends are struggling to find a job, and those who have one worry about how much longer it will last.  But even beyond the worry about jobs, there is this general palpable tension in the air.  I feel it every time I watch or read the news.  I don't think I'm alone in this.  Most seem to know exactly what I'm talking about.  In recent times, the world appears to have gone insane and one feels helpless to do anything about it.

However, as I've only started to realize in recent years, life is really more about the little things.  Today, I'm making a day trip up to Seattle for a long overdue visit to some friends and their one year old's birthday (nothing like kids to make you really feel like time is flying by)  Next week is the debut home game of the brand new MLS Portland Timbers (*PLEASE* don't rain!).  In a few weeks, I fly out to the East Coast for a cousin's wedding and to see friends I haven't seen in years. With the free time I have until then, I'm going to try and find some opportunities to go out shooting with the camera and  maybe do some fly fishing if the fishing reports are good.  Maybe both at the same time.  The one nice thing about all this foul weather is that it sometimes makes for some spectacular photogenic scenery.  I still have some photos from my trip, but I'm feeling lazy so I'll post them here...well, whenever I get to them.  I need fewer things planned out and I'll start with this.  It's not much, but...baby steps.

Babies.  I think I'm finally permitted to say - my sister is due in late September with a boy!  I'm pretty stoked by the news and very happy for Sue.  She's resistant right now, but I'm doing my best to convince her to name him Finn.  Yes, after my dog.  :)  I can't wait to meet him.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on becoming an uncle! And congrats to your sister.
    Where on the East Coast are you heading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahn,

    I was thinking about you this morning as I read a New Yorker article about Chinese traveling to Europe. I hope we make your list of trips! I would love for you to meet the boys. Tulsa reminds me of Portland in the mid-nineties. It is really developing grass-roots style. Welcome back!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet - Thanks! I'm headed out to NYC, but will be road tripping up to Boston and then down to Philadelphia to see some friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah - For sure! I have some good dog-sitters now so I will find some time this summer. Thanks for the article - interesting read!

    ReplyDelete