Sunday, February 28, 2016

Tanzania - pre-trip

My dog Finn has been really unhappy with me for the last week as he watched me pack gear and clothing into a duffel bag and backpack.  But thankfully I am leaving him in very good hands.  Yup, it's time to travel again.  Tomorrow afternoon, I head to Tanzania for 3 and a half weeks with an 8 day climb to summit Kilimanjaro.  This was not the kind of trip I would have ever imagined undertaking, but my buddy Alex was convincing.  And why not?  This will probably be the highest I ever go, and I'll only do this once - may as well do it while I'm physically capable.

Up until last week when I started packing, I didn't give it much thought.  But in the last few days, it's starting to feel real and I find my mind racing about various situations and what equipment I might need.  The safari to start off should be a fun relaxing week of settling in.  So will the week in Zanzibar on the tail end.  But the middle is what we needed to prepare most for.  Probably 80% of what I packed was to deal with 3-4 days of the mountain where it will be cold and very likely wet.  It's a relatively safe climb as far as mountains go.  It's not technical, and we don't need any serious mountaineering gear.  The major hazard is altitude sickness - we are climbing 19,341 feet.  Our 8 days is considered long enough to allow us sufficient time to acclimate as we go higher, so the risk should be minimized.  But I suppose when you're hanging out with Mother Nature, there is always risk.

A couple of weeks ago, I watched Everest (the Hollywood dramatization of the 1996 tragedy).  That was entertaining enough, but knowing it was a Hollywood movie removes you a bit. Then last night, at another friend's suggestion, I saw the amazing documentary Meru.  THAT was incredible.  It also makes me feel like this is going to be a walk in the park compared to what those guys went through.  I doubt I will feel like that when I finally see the mountain.  But  I am really really looking forward to the views.  Once more unto the breach...



No comments:

Post a Comment